The New Working With Children Check

Working with Children Check

Click here to read our Application Process.

The new Working With Children Check commenced on 15 June 2013.

The new Working With Children Check covers more people, is more comprehensive and provides better protection for children. The new model is also consistent with other state and territory Checks, giving us the starting point for a National Working With Children Check.

A Working With Children Check involves a national criminal history check and review of reported workplace misconduct, and the result is either a clearance to work with children for five years, or a bar against working with children. If the outcome is a clearance, the Check can be used for any paid or unpaid child-related work in NSW.

A Working With Children Check is a prerequisite for anyone in child-related work, but it is not the only resource available to organisations to keep children safe. Find out more about creating child-safe environments at

Who needs a Working With Children Check? Only adults in child-related work need to apply for a Working With Children Check. There are other checks available for non child-related workers (e.g. national police check). Child-related work means face-to-face contact with children in a child-related sector, or work in a stipulated, child-related role. Child-related sectors and child-related roles are listed in the Child Protection (Working With Children) Regulation 2013. Adults who share the home of an authorised carer or a family day care educator will also need a Working With Children Check.

When to apply If you are starting a new job (or changing jobs) in child-related work, you must apply for a Check before you start work. If you are already in paid child-related work, or you are a volunteer, you will be phased in over a five year period, according to your industry sector.

If you are self employed, you can continue to use your Certificate for Self Employed People until it expires. If you don’t have a Certificate (or it has already expired), you will be phased in according to your industry sector, or must apply for the new Check before you take on any new engagements; whichever comes first.

How to apply? All processes for the new Check are now online 

New Working with Children Check

To apply:

  • Fill in an online application form at If you cannot access the online system, call the customer service line on (02) 2986 7627 and an officer will complete the form for you.
  • When you have completed the application, you will get an application number.
  • Verify your identity at Services NSW  or Government Access Centre. You will need your application number and proof of identity.
  • If you are in paid work, you will also need to pay an $80 application fee (no fee for volunteers, students, authorised carers or adults sharing their homes).